Self-Storage Facility at 919 S. Lone Hill
The City of Glendora Planning Department has received an application (Project Number: PLN18-0016), related to the proposed development of a self-storage facility at 919 S. Lone Hill Avenue.
PROJECT LOCATION AND EXISTING CONDITIONS
The approximately 1.29-acre project site is vacant and void of any buildings or structures; it was a former Caltrans-owned property that has previously been disturbed. The site is bound by major auto dealerships to the south and southeast across a Los Angeles County Flood Control channel (San Dimas Wash) and Lone Hill Avenue; Interstate 210 to the north; a park-and-ride lot to the east, across Lone Hill Avenue; and undeveloped open space and a Metrolink rail line to the west.
The City’s General Plan land use designation of the project site is Light Industrial. Per the City’s zoning map, the project site is zoned PR (Planned Redevelopment).
PROPOSED LAND USE AND APPLICATION REQUESTS
The subject applications include the following requests:
1) Text amendments to the Glendora General Plan to increase the maximum floor area ratio permitted from 0.35 to 1.6 (excluding basement areas) for all properties within the City that have a land use designation of Light Industrial, a zoning designation of Planned Redevelopment (PR), and are bordered on all sides by government-owned land or facilities; and
2) Establish site-specific development standards and permitted uses (e.g. setback, building height and parking standards) for the site located within the PR zone at 919 S. Lone Hill Avenue; and
3) Development Plan Review to allow the constriction of a proposed self-storage facility structure and related site improvements on the project site. The facility would include a 40-foot tall building that includes 114,782 gross square feet (90,680 leasable) within three stories, plus a basement level. Vehicular access to the site would be via a new driveway off Lone Hill Avenue, which would connect to an internal east-west drive aisle running the full length of the northern portion of the site from Lone Hill Avenue to the rail line. Access into the self-storage facility would be controlled via computerized access gates. Project development requires City review and approval of a General Plan Amendment. The amendment would be for proposed text changes to the General Plan Land Use Element. Specifically, the text amendment is to increase the permitted floor area ratio for all properties in the City having a general plan designation of Light Industrial and a zoning designation of PR, which at the current time only applies to the project site. Additionally, pursuant to the City’s Municipal Code, the development requirements and permitted use of the project site are currently undetermined and are required to be established by the City Council. The proposed project also requires City approval of a development planned review in the PR zone.
With assistance from the City's environmental consultant (Placeworks), the City completed an Initial Study of the project in accordance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). The Draft Initial Study concluded that the project ill not have a significant effect on the environment with the inclusion of mitigation measures and a Draft Mitigated Negative Declaration ("MND"), and Mitigation Monitoring Reporting Program have been prepared. The public review period for the Initial Study and Draft MND commenced on April 11, 2019, and concluded on May 1, 2019.The Initial Study and Draft MND will be presented for consideration and adoption by the City Council at a future meeting.
HEARINGS AND SCHEDULE
Because this project requires a General Plan Amendment and the adoption of site specific development standards, public hearings by both the Planning Commission and City Council will are required. On June 4, 2019, the Planning Commission formally considered the application requests and recommended City Council approval of draft resolutions and an ordinance related to the proposal. The City Council will hold a public hearing in the City Council Chamber of City Hall, 116 E. Foothill Boulevard, Glendora California, on Tuesday July 9, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. to receive and consider all evidence and reports related to the project application.
- Glendora Planning Department: Mark Carnahan, City Planner (626) 852-8253 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Project Applicant: Bill Fox (951) 533-8130 or bfox@williamfoxgroup
- Current Property Owner: Mark Lamoureux
- Proposed Operator: CUBESMART Self Storage