When Are Permits Required?

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The California Building Code states in "Appendix Chapter 1, Section 105 - Permits":

"Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit."

The City of Glendora enforces the above code provision by requiring all construction activity to be covered by a valid permit. 

Permits Are Usually Required For the Following:

  •  New buildings
  •  Additions/Remodels (bedrooms, bathrooms, family rooms, patios, etc.)
  •  Residential work (decks, garages, fireplaces, pools, water heaters, etc.)
  •  Renovations (garage conversions, basements, re-roofing, kitchen remodels/expansions, etc.)
  •  Electrical systems
  •  Plumbing systems
  •  HVAC (heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning) systems
  • Solar Photovoltaic Systems


This list gives representative examples of the types of work that require permits.  There are other work types that require permits that are not on this list.  If you are unsure if your projects requires a permit, please call the Building and Safety Division at (626) 914-8222 for a determination.

There are five types of permits available for a construction project.  They are:

  • Building Permit:  A building permit covers construction of the building and does not include related trades.
  • Mechanical Permit:  A mechanical permit covers construction of the mechanical systems of a building such as the heating/air conditioning, duct work, furnace, ventilation systems.
  • Electrical Permit:  An electrical permit covers construction of the electrical systems of a building such as an electrical service upgrade, circuit, or light upgrades/change outs.
  • Plumbing Permit:  A plumbing permit covers construction of the gas lines and plumbing lines and fixtures and irrigation lines of a building.
  • Sewer Permit:  A sewer permit covers construction of the drain lines outside the building including new sewer or septic system.

Applications for each of the above noted permits can be downloaded to your printer from here.

Permits allow the inspector to protect the public by reducing the potential hazards of unsafe construction and ensuring public health, safety, and welfare. By following code guidelines, the completed project will meet minimum standards of safety and will be less likely to cause injury to you, your family, your friends, or future owners.

On-site inspections will be required to make certain the work conforms to the permit, local codes, and plans. You will have access to the expertise of the inspector to help you with questions or concerns regarding the project.

   The Contractor’s State License Board is a good source of information for consumers. 
  Check www.cslb.ca.gov for construction information, guides and pamphlets.