Steps to Starting a Business

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
As an entrepreneur, starting a business will likely be one of the most exciting and challenging goals you set out to achieve. The City of Glendora wants to be sure you are prepared to succeed. There are many decisions that will need to be made; be aware of local, federal and state regulations. Listed below are some of the key items that need to be considered. Understanding the different factors involved will help ensure you’re on the right path to success.

Business Plan
Site Location / Signage
Business Organization
Employer ID Number
Permits / Licenses
Naming your Business
Financial Assistance
Additional Requirements and Resources

For a checklist to starting a business, required steps, applications and reference documentation, please download:
                                  The City of Glendora Business Start-Up Check List

Business Plan 
In addition to knowing the product you will sell or the service you will provide, you will want to have a marketing plan, an organizational plan and a financial plan. Having this plan from the start, can be the difference between a struggling and a successful business. For assistance or more information on developing a business plan please contact the Small Business Administration How to Write a Business Plan -, or the Glendora Chamber of Commerce.

Finding the Best Location
For available sites in Glendora, please visit: Business Locations Available 
Ensure that your business will receive zoning clearance from the City of Glendora Planning. For more information please click here: City of Glendora - Planning and Zoning or call the Planning Division at (626) 914-8214 or email at
If you intend on changing or installing a new sign, you will need to contact the Planning Department. (626) 914-8214 
If you will need to make any physical change to your place of business, please contact the Building Department at (626) 914-8223 to determine if any building permits will be required.

Business Organization
How will you organize your business? Decide which legal structure will work best for your business. Each structure has its own advantages and disadvantages. For specific questions about which structure is best for your business, you should consult a qualified tax consultant or an attorney. Useful information can also be obtained from the State of California Franchise Tax Board.
To file your corporation, limited liability or partnership, check with the Secretary of State

• Obtain an Employer ID Number also known as Federal Tax Identification Number
Check with the IRS to determine if you will need an Employer Identification Number (EIN). IRS - Federal Tax ID Number

Permits / Licenses
Sellers Permit - If you are selling or acquiring any tangible items for repair or use in your business you must have a resale permit. Please contact California State Board of Equalization, (626) 480-7200. 
Business Specific Requirements - For additional permits that may be required specific to your business type, visit 
Glendora Business License – Businesses operating in the City of Glendora need to obtain a business license. The business license must be renewed annually. The application can be applied for in person at City Hall.

For more information: Business Licensing
For application and fees: Glendora Business License Application

Naming your Business
If you establish a business that does not include your surname, within 40 days of business start date, you must file a Fictitious Business Statement with the County Clerk of Los Angeles, (562) 462-2177. 

                                                   Office of the County Clerk, Registrar-Recorder 
                                                      12440 Imperial Highway, Norwalk CA 90650 
                                                                              (562) 462-2177

To find out if your intended business name is already in use, please visit the county’s Fictitious Business Name Search: Fictitious Business Name Search
For more information, please visit the County’s website: Fictitious Business Names

Financial Assistance
Check with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) office to find out if you can qualify for government loans or other financial assistance options: SBA - Loans and Grants

Additional Requirements and Resources

 Public Health Operating License County of Los Angeles (626) 430-5200  
 Authority to Construct/Permit to Operate South Coast Air Quality Management District (800) 388-2121
 Alcoholic Beverage License CA Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (626) 256-3241


 Discrimination Law CA Department of Fair Employment and Housing (800) 233-3212  
 Occupational Safety and Health Cal/OSHA (800) 963-9424
 Wage/Hour Law Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (213) 576-6227


 Workers Compensation  Division of Workers' Compensation               (213) 576-7389 
 Payroll Taxes/Unemployment/Disability Employment Development Department  
 Water Discharge Requirements California Environmental Protection Agency  


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer