SoCal Gas Offers Tips to Save Money this Winter
Per SoCal Gas, Los Angeles, November 26, 2019 - With inclement weather and cold temperatures in the forecast throughout our service territory this week, Southern California Gas Co. (SoCalGas) today offered energy savings ideas and appliance rebates to help customers keep their bills affordable this winter.
Temperatures in Southern California typically turn cooler in November and can remain cold through March. During cold weather, it is possible to use three to seven times more natural gas than in summer months as your home heater responds to your thermostat settings and your water heater works harder to keep water hot. SoCalGas offers the following tips to help save on energy costs:
- Customers can save 10 to 15 percent on heating costs by lowering the temperature setting on their furnace three to five degrees.
- Have air ducts tested. Leaky ducts can cost customers anywhere from 10 to 30 percent in heating and cooling costs.
- Install caulking and weather-stripping around doors and windows. This can save about 10 to 15 percent in energy costs.
- Clean or replace furnace filters.
- Install a smart thermostat.
- Install an energy efficient furnace.